As we know, cholesterol can trigger a wide range of serious diseases, such as heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and other diseases. To overcome all these diseases, we need to do a Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes (TLC) diet.
What is the TLC Diet?
TLC (Therapeutic lifestyle changes) diet is one way of using a diet with a target level of calories to help you lower your cholesterol. The TLC diet also can use for diet weight loss.
TLC diet is a program that will help you in running lifestyle changes, including choose food for healthy life, exercise, weight loss, and not smoke. The main focus of the diet is lowering the amount of saturated fat you eat, because saturated fat is the cause of your cholesterol.
How to use a target level of calories in TLC?
- For men, taking the target of 2.500 calories per day
- For women, the target consumed 1.800 calories per day
- To reduce weight, it is recommended calorie intake of 1.600 for men and 1.200 for women
- Eating fruits and vegetables, cereals, fish, skinless poultry meat, and low-fat milk. TLC method was followed by consuming these foods no more than 5 ounces.
To Avoid in TLC
1. Stop smoking!
Smoking is an important part triggers various diseases, such as lung cancer, liver, and heart disease. For passive smokers are also affected.
2. Food to Avoid
a. Avoid oil that had been partially hydrogenated. Because the oil has been through a process that makes them solid. Usually found in some hard butter, snack crackers, cookies, and shortening.
b. Limit fatty meat, such as corned beef, pastrami, ribs, steaks, offal, sausage, bacon, and hot dog. Attempting preferably low-fat foods such as sandwiches, skinless chicken, salad with low-fat dressing, and the food is not fried.
c. Limit high-fat dairy products, and replace it with low-fat milk.
TLC Recommendation menu
- Choose snacks that are low in fat or made with unsaturated fats.
- 1 egg, and low-fat milk.
- 5 ounces of lean meat, poultry or fish as a substitute. Can add a quarter cup of dried beans or peas for every 1 ounce of meat.
- 1 cup milk, low-fat yogurt, low-fat cheese, and fruit, in 2-3 days.
- 3/4 glass of juice, 1 type of fruit and vegetable, in 2-4 days.
- 1 cup of raw green vegetables or salad, 3/4 glass of vegetable juice, bread cereals, pasta, rice, and grains, in 3-5 days.
- Once a week is recommended 1 slice of bread.
Sample menus for TLC diet
1. Breakfast --- Half a cup of oatmeal with 1 cup low-fat milk, 1 teaspoon of brown sugar, and 1 slice of fruit. If you want a cup of caffe latte, made using 1 cup of low-fat milk.
2. Lunch --- Sandwich 2 slices, 2 ounces of lean chicken, 1 tablespoon mayonnaise, lettuce and tomato, carrot juice, and apple. Can add a low-fat snack, half a cup of raisins and nuts.
3. Dinner --- 3 ounces of grilled salmon, 1 cup of cooked brown rice, 1 cup of cooked broccoli, fruit salad, and 1 cup of low-fat milk.
Knowing the type of milk
Milk contains protein, carbohydrates, vitamin A, vitamin B3 (niacin), and minerals of milk. Milk is divided into 3 groups :
*Notes : k+ = high potassium, ko+ = high cholesterol, Na++ = contains sodium > 400 mg.
1. Non-fat milk
- Liquid skim milk = 1 cup = 2.000 k+
- Skim milk powder = 4 tablespoons = 20 k+
- Nonfat yogurt = 2/3 cup = 120 k+
2. Low-fat milk
- Cow's milk = 1 cup = 200 k+
- Goat milk = 3/4 cup = 165 k+
- Fresh condensed milk = 1/2 cup = 100 k+
- Flour sour milk = 1 cup = 200 k+
- Whole milk yogurt = 1 cup = 200 k+
- A small of cheese = 1 piece = 35 Na++, ko+
3. The high-fat milk
- Buffalo milk = 1/2 cup = 100 k+
- Full milk powder = 6 tablespoons = 30 k+, ko+
Various types of cholesterol-containing foods should be avoided, such as offal, food by using coconut milk, lard, and others. If high cholesterol levels, you are advised to consult with a doctor to get a menu what should be consumed and should not be consumed.
You can also do a menu control in your own way, for breakfast, lunch, and dinner as the sample menu above. And don't forget to always present a fresh fruit juice.
For snacks, choose snacks made from potatoes, but not fried. At dinner, you can choose steamed potatoes and drink skim milk for energy.