We would often hear the importance of eating fruits and vegetables. Even since we were a child, our parents also often encourages us to always eat fruits and vegetables. Of course this argument is not without reason. Because the fiber content of fruits and vegetables are important for our bodies. However, many people do not understand how to take the fiber in their food source.
What is fiber?
The fiber are food ingredients derived from plants, such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains and beans. Everyone needs a fiber. The fiber is very needed by adults as well as children. Needs of fiber for adult around 25-30 grams per day, but depending on the calories in. Basically in every 1000 calories it takes at least 2 grams of fiber.
Here is some vegetables and fruits rich in fibers :
1. Apples, oranges, bananas, pears, grapes, papaya, mango.
2. Carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, corn, green beans, peas, spinach, tomato, potato, and mushroom.
3. Other food such as cereal and popcorn.
The benefits of fiber :
1. Slow down the absorption of carbohydrates on food, so that helps control blood sugar levels for diabetics.
2. Prevent cancer, because the fiber is capable of dissolving, binding, and accelerate the journey of cancer causing substances through the colon.
3. Binds bile acids in the colon, that help lower cholesterol levels in the blood.
4. Fiber could control the weight, because the fiber be able to make slow way in the digestion of food, water binding, and suspend the hunger for those who are doing the diet.
5. Because the fiber binding the water, so that make feces become soft and reduce constipation.
6. Prevent bad breath, because the fiber rich food preferably chewed for long. During the mastication, the oral cavity that join the clean up.
Myths and facts about FIBER :
1). Food high in fiber are high in calories, it is a myth.
Food that are high in fiber content of the calories a bit instead. vegetables, fruits, whole grains contain no fat at all. However, if a high fiber food processed food ingredients mixed with the other containing fat, surely will be high in calories.
2). Food high in fiber is good for digestion, is a fact.
But the fiber-producing fermentation that produce CO2 gas which can make the experience flatulence and constipation. To prevent it, don't forget to keep up with the drinking water.
3). Fruit should be peeled it skin, it is a myth.
There are indeed fruit should be peeled, but there was also need not be peeled. Like apples for example, apple skin is high in vitamins, so it is advisable not to wash it clean origin peeled before eaten.
4). Vegetables and frutis inevitably contain fiber, is a fact.
As long as we consume and metabolize correctly, this vegetable and fruit will yield enough fiber for our bodies.
5). Boiled vegetables will lose its benefits, this is a myth.
Since not all vegetables are boiled will lose the benefits of the fiber. Minerals in vegetables will not dissolve, and will remain in the vegetables.
6). Fruit or vegetable that juiced will lose the fiber, is a myth.
Especially for fruit, it would be better if consumed by directly eating it. But fruit is blended with a mixer or juice extractor, will still be a high content of the fiber.
7). Consumes as many fibers are good for the body, is a myth.
Although fiber is good for the body, it does not mean we should consume as many fibers. Remember, excessive fiber will inhibit the absorbtion of minerals, iron, zinc, and calcium. So, the consumtion of fiber to taste.
However, to make the body stay healthy, just not always necessary in terms of fiber intake only. But a healthy lifestyle, enough rest, as well as regularly doing excercise (sport) is also very important to support the body keep fit.
Hopefully this information can assist you in processing of fruits and vegetables properly to meet your fiber needs and family.