How many people do not understand the benefits of vitamin A for the health and fertility. Or even not really care about the importance of vitamin A intake for their body. Though the benefits of vitamin A is very important to be known by everyone.
Vitamin A is a crystalline alcohol in their original form is white, and is soluble in fat or grease solvent. Vitamin A in food, usually in the form of Esther retinyl, that is tied to the long-chain fatty acids. While Vitamin A according to the WHO definition is one type of fat-soluble vitamins, who has instrumental in the formation of the system of excellent vision.
Vitamin A is made up of two form, i.e. vitamin A pre-form and pro-vitamin A. Vitamin A pre-form are retinol, retinal, retinoic acid, and retinyl ester. While pro-vitamin A is known as beta-carotene.
The nature of vitamin A
Vitamin A generally stable to heat, acids, and alkalis. But unfortunately, vitamin A also has easily oxidized by air, and will break down when heated at high temperatures along the air, rays, and the fat is already stale.
The benefits of vitamin A
1. Maintaining healthy epithelial tissue in order to function properly. Like the eyes, respiratory, digestive, reproductive, nerves, urine disposal system, skin, including the bladder and membranes lining all the channels that open out the body, the glands, and its channels. The epithelial tissues are experiencing keratinase (embossed layers of horns) in cases of vitamin A deficiency.
2. Improve the function of the immune system. Vitamin A can help lymphocytes, a type of white blood cells to be more active against a variety of things foreign that enters into the body.
3. As the retinene or retinal-related process vision, and is part of the vision pigments are sensitive to light.
4. Assist the process of refinement of the teeth, especially in the formation of epithelial cells tooth enamel.
5. Help in the growth process of the body.
6. Other benefits of vitamin A is to ward off free radical. And as a source of Antioxidants that can protect cells from free radicals in the body. So, as to prevent the emergence of a wide range of chronic diseases. Sources of Vitamin A can be consumed every day.
7. Vitamin A is also very important in the process of reproduction. Vitamin A needs while pregnant increases, for the growth of the fetus and in the preparation at breastfeeding. Also great for people who want to get pregnant.
Source of vitamin A
The active form of vitamin A is only found in animal sources. Sources of vegetables contain carotenoids which is the precursor of vitamin A.
Source of Carotene
- Vegetables are red, yellow and green. Like carrots, tomatoes, sweet yellow yam, corn, spinach, and leafy vegetables.
- Fruits : orange, mango, and papaya.
- Other food sources containing vitamin A are chicken liver, animal fats, eggs, milk, butter, and cheese.
- Vitamin A which many contain pro-vitamin A (beta-carotene) are leafy vegetables, carrots, papaya, and palm oil.
Due to vitamin A deficiency :
- Vitamin A deficiency in children can cause them easily exposed to the disease.
- Children who are deficiency in vitamin A, their bodies have no immunity against diseases such as measles, diarrhea, and other disease infection. And the disease could grow worse.
- Vitamin A deficiency in a prolonged period of time will also cause disorders of the eyes and the risk of blindness.
Signs of vitamin A deficiency :
- Abnormalities of the skin, as the skin dry and flaky. It was seen at the bottom of the front legs, and the back of the upper arm.
- Disorders of the eye, such as nyctalopia. I.e. a person's vision will be declining in the evening. Can not even see where it less light.
If signs of vitamin A deficiency in this case, immediately consult your doctor to get the vitamin A supplement with the right dose.
Due to excess vitamin A
Constantly high dosing for prevention, it can cause poisoning such as pain in the joints, headache, nausea, and vomiting. But this only happens if you consume the vitamin A in the form of a supplement. If you consumed a natural source of vitamin A, certainly safer and healthier.
How to prevent vitamin A deficiency?
A good to meet the needs of vitamin A is to take vitamin A from natural sources, namely fruits and vegetables that are rich and contains many benefits of vitamin A.