What is Ovarian Cancer?
Ovarian cancer is one of several types of cancer that strike women, and found in the female reproductive organs. When diagnosis is made, usually the cancer cells had already spread in the surrounding organs.
Ovarian cancer is the most malignant type of cancer and dangerous attack on women. And usually, when it is found, the cancer was already at an advanced stage. The older the age of patients with ovarian cancer, death rates also will be higher. So, if the disease has been diagnosed, the patient should immediatelly undertake the ovarian cancer treatment as soon as possible.
The incident rate of ovarian cancer is higher in industrialized countries, and more infected women than among the top level of the economy. Although ovarian cancer could be suffered by women of all ages, but is more often found in women of menopausal age.
Symptoms of Ovarian Cancer
What are the symptoms that may appear on the ovarian cancer? But to remember is, the symptoms of ovarian cancer are not able to show the cancer stage has already spread. For sure, you should still check and consult a doctor.
Here are some common symptoms of ovarian cancer :
- Irregular menstruation
- Bleeding outside of the menstrual cycle
- Post menopausal bleeding
- Continuous abdominal pain
- There is a hard lumps on either side of the lower abdomen
- Lost appetite in a fairly long time
- Rapid weight loss although not undertake any diet, weak and lethargic.
Diagnosis of Ovarian Cancer
Some of this ways can be done to diagnose ovarian cancer :
1. A Transvaginal Ultrasound (TVUS) --- This is the fastest way of diagnosis can determine the position of the bump, bump size, and the features.
2. X-ray --- Examination with x-ray can also be done, to see the layout of the lump, tumor stage, and ensure it helps postoperative recurrence examination.
3. CT-Scan, MRI, and Biopsies --- Biopsy done via laparoscopy procedure, to take the example of the ovarian tissue, and further will be examined in the laboratory.
Ovarian Cancer Stages
- Stage 1 : Ovarian cancer is on the surface of ovary, including early stage ovarian cancer. Cancer in one ovary (stage 1A), Cancer in the both of ovary (stage 1B), and cancer in the ovary and on the surface of one ovary (stage 1C).
- Stage 2 : Cancer are in one or both ovaries (stage 2A). Cancer has spread to the bowl or bladder (stage 2B). Cancer cells also found in the fluid of the abdomen (stage 2C).
- Stage 3 : Cancer are in one or both ovaries and has spread in the pelvis or the lining of abdomen (stage 3A). Found tumours size 2cm or smaller are in the lining of the abdomen (stage 3B). Cancer cells has spread in the lymph nodes (stage 3C).
- Stage 4 : Cancer already spread to the lungs.
Ovarian Cancer treatment
Things to consider in choosing a method of ovarian cancer treatment is : the patient's age, marital status, clinical stage, type of tissue, cell differentiation, large or small tumours, and the fertility rate.
Ovarian Cancer treatment by Chemotherapy
Chemotherapy is the treatment of cancer using drugs, aiming to kill or slow the growth of cancer cells. Chemotherapy can be given in several ways, such as through an infusion, via intratekal, medicines, peripheral, and central venous.
Chemotherapy given with a certain time lag, aims to give the body time to prepare the chemotherapy onward. Chemotherapy begins by placing a needle infusion in bloods vessels. After that, as long as the drug is inserted into the body, patients can while lying down or sleeping, reading, or watching television.
Other ovarian cancer treatment, get through the surgery and radiotherapy. Although this method is not too effective for ovarian cancer in advance stage. Surgery can be done on the cancer only, or to remove the entire uterus.
The Side Effect of Chemotherapy and How to Resolve it
The patient does not need to be afraid of this. Because before and after administering chemotherapy drugs, doctor will give anti-nausea drugs that will help reduce the nausea and vomiting.
2. Canker sores
To resolve it, brush your teeth at least 2 times a day. Gargle with salt water (mix from 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 glass of water). Do at least 4 times a day and drink plenty of water.
3. Gastrointestinal disorders (colon)
Constipation can be avoided by consuming foods that rich in fiber, such as fruits and vegetables. Diarrhea can be overcome by eating frequent small meals, such as bread or biscuits. Avoid food that are too cold, spicy and fatty acid.
4. Hair loss
Don't worry, because it is temporary. The rate of hair loss occurs due to chemotherapy drugs. How to cope with it, use a gentle shampoo or baby shampoo. Comb the hair slowly and gently. Avoid using hair dryer, hair rollers, or hair spray. Remember, that hair will definitely grow back the same heavily as they are.
In case of the other side effects, such as muscle and nerve symptoms tingling or numbness in fingers and toes, immediately report it to your doctor.
Prevention of Cancer
Certainly it is better to prevent than cure. Here are some things to consider to avoid cancer :
- Live in a Healthy lifestyle by consuming enough food and nourishing nutrients
- Always keep the body health and environmental hygiene
- Avoid sex with many partners
- Avoid smoking, as tobacco can cause cancer
- Avoid alcohol, since it will interfere with the health of the kidneys and other organs
- Avoid cleaning the genital with dirty water
- Consumption of vitamin C and E, and many consume fruits and vegetables containing antioxidants and beta-carotene
- Not too often eat junkfood
- Check your health routine at the doctor
- Immediatelly report at your doctor if any unusual symptoms in the organs of the body.
Prevention of Ovarian Cancer for Those of You Who Are Trying To Conceive
1. Do not carelessly taking fertility drugs --- Taking fertility drugs supposedly advised by Obstetrician. Because the doctor will check your fertility rate first, and will give the proper dose for your condition. So, do not consume fertility drugs without a doctor's advice.
2. Consult your doctor on regularly basis --- If you're trying to conceive, you should always perform routine checks on your doctor. Report any complaints and symptoms that you feel while undergoing fertility treatment. Especially if you are experiencing pain in the uterus and surrounding areas.
3. Because fertility drugs related to the ovaries, so you should take it appropriate doses and at the appointed time.
Because cancer is a disease that dangerous and the biggest cause of death worldwide, than we obligated to maintain better health. And don't ignore the signs of cancer that occur in body.